So your thinking about wallpaper? Well let me tell you a little secret… so are the rest of us!!
Wallpaper is coming back in a big BIG way! Some may even say the trend never went away.
Wallpaper has come a long way since your grandmothers cheap, brown and pink floral patterned house. It can add colour, texture, pattern or a beautiful scene — even more so than paint, wallpaper can change the entire look of your room.
Given its wide variety of options, cost and need for professional installation (a must), you may have been shying away from making the commitment. Today we are here to help you with our “Painters Guide” to choosing the right paper, pattern or texture for your space, in hopes of easing your undecided mind.
1. START COLLECTING IMAGES – With the internet at your finger tips, it is easier than ever to find inspiration. With sites like pinterest, instagram & houzz, you have an endless supply of examples. Use other peoples spaces to fuel your imagination. Be sure to start collecting these images in order to recall them when designing your own space.
2. GO WITH YOUR NATURAL STYLE – Whether your a fan of modern, traditional or colourful spaces, there is no shortage of options for your style and budget. Be aware of passing trends & try to avoid patterns that don’t speak to you. Always remember, the paper and pattern you choose will be something you love and live with for years to come.
3. WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? – What are you hoping wallpaper will do to your space? Add depth? Texture? Perhaps make your space feel bigger? How do you want the space to make you feel? Happy? Relaxed? Glamorous?
Always keep your end goal in mind. If it’s wow factor your looking for, you may end up regretting a paper selection that’s too subtle. On the contrary, if it’s a subtle & relaxing feel you want, you may regret choosing a paper with to bold of a pattern.
4. PURCHASE SOME SAMPLES & LIVE WITH THEM – Depending on the size of your space, wallpaper can be quite costly. You want to ensure you avoid purchasing and installing paper your not happy with at all costs! We recommend ALWAYS purchasing a sample of the wallpaper you are considering for your space and living with them. Bring them into your space, tape it to your wall and see how they look in your spaces natural lighting. Does the pattern work with your furniture? With your floor? Do the colours clash? Live with your sample selections for a minimum of 5 days and see if you still feel the same after that time. Don’t be afraid to purchase multiple samples and try a few different options. It could end up saving you hundreds or thousands of dollars down the road, as well as the headaches of installing a paper you aren’t satisfied with.
5. SEEK PROFESSIONAL ADVICE – Always contact a professional installer before placing an order. Have them professionally calculate your order size. Rolls come in a variety of sizes and lengths. Does your selection come in single rolls? Double rolls? What is the pattern repeat? Different papers will also require different glues. Some papers (typically your cheaper options) may also come pre-pasted on the back and require activating the glue with water. Don’t try to guess! You don’t want to run out of wallpaper half way through the job, or over order and spend extra $$ if you don’t have to. A professional installer, contractor or designer should be able to help guide you through this process.